Saturday, November 16, 2013

I think that if a family goes through a crisis, they can always learn from it and grow. In class this week we discussed a lot of different crisis's that the family system could potentially go through. For example: death, infidelity, divorce, or illness. Every family structure is different and handles issues in different ways. Some better than other. But one thing I have learned growing up is that you can always take something good out of a situation. My Father has Crohn's Disease along with other health problems, and growing up, having him in and out of hospitals was the normal thing to me. I learned how to deal with sadness and stress from situations when he would get really sick. My role somewhat changed within my family. I had to step up at a young age to help take care of our house and my younger sisters because my mom had to be with my dad and she needed help. But as my family has grown and over the years my fathers illness has essentially brought my family closer together. We spend more time with one another, we talk more about our feelings, and we have all learned how to help and serve more often. In class we were taught a model called the "ABC Model- A+B+C=X" A stands for actual event, B for both resources and responses, and C for cognitions, and A B and C all add up to the total eXperience. When a family goes through an ordeal they follow these steps. The actual event takes place, then they respond to the situation, then they go through a thought process to deal with the situation, and all that leads to their total experience of the ordeal. We can choose to look on the bright side even in the darkest of times.

1 comment:

  1. When my sister battled cancer, my family and I went through similar situations. Even though the situation was very tough, I wouldn't trade how close I am to my mom and siblings because of it.

    ReplyDelete